Title Image by Emily Hackett BA (Hons) Surface Pattern Graduate 2013

Thursday 1 May 2014

Watermark Cards

Today we are catching up with Beni Wibisono, who graduated last year from BA Hons Surface Pattern Design.  After exhibiting on the Staffordshire University stand at New Designers, Beni's work was noticed by Watermark Cards, she was offered a placement and is now a Junior Designer......
 
"Things have been going great since I moved and started working at Watermark. It's nearly been 6 months and the time's flown by, but looking back I've learnt so much in that time. It's exactly the situation I was aiming for when I left uni and I feel I've definitely benefitted from being in a design studio where I can make use of everyone's help and experience. I'm constantly learning something new and I can feel myself progressing into a better designer. 

 
My job title is junior designer and it ranges from assisting senior designers with mocking up cards and adding finishes, to formatting new cards on the Mac, and sometimes generating new ideas and designs. 
 

Since I started working here we've been designing for Christmas 2014 so for us Christmas lasts a lot longer than usual! At the moment I have been busy helping with Christmas singles, which are individual captioned cards. This means I've been able to work on all the different ranges available and this has not only helped my technical skills, but I am also getting to know the company as well as the business and commercial aspects. 
 

Beni in the Watermark studio
 
One exciting project I got to work on was to create some 3D stitched characters. They were well received by the managers and creative directors and are not only going to feature on a number of cards but have had a whole range created just for them. I never expected that so soon after joining the team, but I can't wait to see them in the shops next Christmas. 
 
I've got to say though that I wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for Staffordshire University and the course. They introduced me to Watermark and helped me develop and realise that I had the skills to work for a company like it. "
Beni Wibisono - Graduate from BA Hons Surface Pattern Design 2013
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.