Title Image by Emily Hackett BA (Hons) Surface Pattern Graduate 2013

Tuesday 21 July 2015

Interview with Kate Jennings - Graduate of 2015

Over the summer we will be posting up mini interviews with this year's graduates, we've been asking them questions like, why did you choose this course? What piece of advice would you give yourself if you were to start the course again?

So if you want to find out more about our courses and them, then keep your eye out for our posts.


Kate Jennings - BA Hons Surface Pattern Design 2015

Follow the link to find out more about Kate
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Jennings-Surface-Pattern-Designer-Artist/700696000048760


 

1.  Why did you choose to study at Staffordshire University?

I loved the atmosphere of the studio and the idea of having my own desk to store my work and use every day, something which I had seen was not available at a lot of Universities. It also had such amazing facilities of the print room and access to the sewing room etc. so I expected to learn so many different things over the three years… which I did!

2 .   What’s been the best thing about studying Surface Pattern/Textile Surfaces at    Staffordshire?

The amount of things we learn through the beginning making us such versatile designers but then towards the latter of the course, the tutors appreciate students’ individual style and you are encouraged to do what you’ve enjoyed in past projects.

3.      Knowing what you know now - what piece of advice would you give to yourself if you were about to start the course again?

Really make the most of every project from the beginning. Even if you don’t feel a project is going to be your cup of tea or suit your style, you can often surprise yourself and still learn a lot from it. Also always try to challenge yourself, especially at the beginning as it is important to really find a style that you love or a new innovative technique that makes you unique.

4.    Tell us about any successes or exciting things that happened to you whilst you were studying?

I did a project for childrenswear in which I really tried to challenge myself and attempt things out of my comfort zone, but the project didn’t go successfully for me and I was becoming frustrated that I didn’t feel I had a particular thing I was good at that made my style. In my next project I tried to stick to things I loved such as detailed painting and creating designs for interiors. I also pushed myself to use Photoshop which I previously had always steered away from and the outcome of this project was really successful. I felt like this was my turning point in my course and I really found myself and what I loved to do which was really exciting for me.

5.    What are your hopes/plans for the future?  And how did the Surface Pattern/Textile Surfaces course get you ready for this?

After graduating, I hope to initially get a job in an interiors company doing textile or wallpaper design. And maybe one day become freelance and sell my own designs to other companies. The surface pattern course has really got me ready for the future as we have learnt so many different things, we will be able to apply for a lot of different jobs based on our skills and what employers require. Also we have been taught crucial skills about job hunting and also creating our CVs and portfolios to be suitable for the design industry.

6. What would you say to a student who was thinking about studying Surface Pattern/Textile Surfaces?

If you know you want some sort of career in design but you’re not really sure what yet, Surface Pattern is definitely the course you should consider. You are taught so many different things and ways of working, everyone becomes very individual and you can work in any way you wish whether it be on textiles, ceramics or even graphic design. It is such a versatile course with lots of opportunities and potential for the future, I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.