Title Image by Emily Hackett BA (Hons) Surface Pattern Graduate 2013

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Interview with Alix Webb - Surface Pattern Design Graduate of 2015

Todays interview is with recent graduate Alix Webb, see below for more info and ways to follow Alix online...

Alix Webb - Surface Pattern Design Graduate 2015

 
Alix with her Johnn Lewis Loves award at New Designers 2015

Follow Alix here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alix-Webb-Design/480051615419560 

Why did you choose to study at Staffordshire University?

Staffordshire University offers such a diverse course which allows students to experiment with all aspects of surface decoration - which initially drew me to the course. I never knew there was such a niche that catered for any pattern on any surface; from greetings cards to fashion, interiors to accessories! The course offers so much in terms of facilities, tutor time and industry experience - It was impossible to say no! It was the best choice I made coming to Staffs, it's opened so many doors for me!


What’s been the best thing about studying Surface Pattern/Textile Surfaces at Staffordshire?

The best thing for me personally about studying Surface Pattern Design is the opportunities it has given me. Staffs has great links with industry which offer competitions, placements and prizes. Taking part in these live briefs with Industry led my work to become more commercial, and therefore boosted my prospects of getting a job after University. 


Knowing what you know now - what piece of advice would you give to yourself if you were about to start the course again?

Enjoy every minute, it goes way to quick! Trust that things will work out! Work hard but don't forget time to have fun! Getting a good body of work for your portfolio is key :)

Tell us about any successes or exciting things that happened to you whilst you were studying?

Well, I had an amazing three years at Staffs! I was lucky enough to win competitions and placements with Hallmark, Tigerprint and Next whilst at University, which helped develop my style! I set up my own surface pattern design business in my second year, supplying boutique shops with cards,and other paper goods! I also sold my work at lots of pop-up shops and craft fairs. It was great to get my foot in the door whilst at uni, i learnt all the tricks of the trade before I left. Whilst studying at Uni we also exhibited at New Designers. It was a whirlwind experience which led to lots of work from commercial companies. I also won one of the 'John Lewis loves' awards and came runner up in the Wilko's 'W'innovate' award! The biggest success was I graduated with a first class honours degree and seeing all the hard work pay off. 




What are your hopes/plans for the future?  

I have set myself up as a freelance designer and have a studio space in Chesterfield. I freelance for Asda kids home, Hallmark, Tigerprint, Mary Jones studio and other smaller companies, covering everything from interiors, fashion, accessories and cards! I'm super excited to be working closely with Asda Kids home- I have a range coming out! I also have freelance work in the future from John Lewis! It's been the most incredible experience, and I couldn't thank Staffordshire Uni enough for preparing me enough for setting my own business. They created the opportunity for me to have links with industry which took me through to standing on my own feet and making new contacts!



What would you say to a student who was thinking about studying Surface Pattern/Textile Surfaces?

Make the most of the time you have at university, it is the most important foundation for your career! You get out what you put in, so it's important you say yes yes yes to every opportunity! It's a fab course, great studio, amazing tutors, invaluable links with industry, the best facilities! I cannot recommend it enough. 

Alix being filmed for the John Lewis video at New Designers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.