Title Image by Emily Hackett BA (Hons) Surface Pattern Graduate 2013

Monday 10 August 2015

Interview with Sarah Pearse - Surface Pattern Graduate 2015


Todays interview is with Sarah Pearse - who has recently graduated from BA Hons Surface Pattern Design


Sarah Pearse - Surface Pattern Graduate 2015

www.sarahjaninedesigns.uk  


Why did you choose to study at Staffordshire University?

To be honest, I kind of fell onto the course…I was originally thinking of studying Fine Art but I needed to do a foundation degree because I didn’t do A-Levels or a BTEC.  I chose to do the foundation course at Staffs and within the first few weeks it became apparent that I was far more suited to design rather than art.  I began to learn of the Surface Pattern course the Uni had, I had never heard of it before but designing patterns soon grabbed my attention. I had an interview and somehow got on the course.   I can now honestly say that this series of events have led to the best thing that has ever happened to me and I’m so glad I ended up at Staffs, the course is amazing and I’ve learnt so much and succeeded in ways I’d never dreamed of.

What’s been the best thing about studying Surface Pattern/Textile Surfaces at Staffordshire?

Where to start! The tutors are incredible and so talented, they bestow so much knowledge and wisdom upon you and you find yourself improving in leaps and bounds. The facilities are second to none, and the demonstrations are so informative, everything I could’ve dreamed of doing was a possibility and the technician, Sue, is so helpful and just seems to know everything! I loved the fact that we got our own desk space and access to the workshops from 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday, you could really immerse yourself and make the most out of each day.

Knowing what you know now - what piece of advice would you give to yourself if you were about to start the course again?

ENJOY VISUAL STUDIES MORE! I found Visual Studies difficult to become involved with, but now I’d give anything to have a whole day to just draw something! Although I didn’t overly enjoy it at the time, I found the skills we learnt invaluable and my drawing is of a far higher standard now because of it. Employers within the industry often comment that they always looks at our course’s work because of the standard of the drawing skills.


Tell us about any successes or exciting things that happened to you whilst you were studying?

I was offered an internship in Denmark in the summer of my second year, so I spent three months out there and at the end of it was offered a freelance position with them. So for my third year I was already working within the industry, which meant that by the time I graduated I was more employable as I had a years work experience under my belt. I have been offered an interview for another freelance position because of it.

I was also awarded a bursary for ‘innovative use of colour,’ by The Society of Dyers and Colourists, which helped tremendously when funding my final project.
I was awarded the William Painter prize by the university for travelling to Denmark, which helped me fund my trip.

I got a first! Something I would never have imagined. I was rubbish at school, I was lazy and I didn’t try hard, I just hated it. This course helped me realise that education can be enjoyable and that anyone can succeed if they are in the right place. “Fish are fascinating creatures, but if you judge it on it’s ability to climb a tree then it will live it’s whole life believing that it is stupid.”




What are your hopes/plans for the future?  And how did the Surface Pattern/Textile Surfaces course get you ready for this?

I will be setting up my own business, designing and making my own work. Whilst I am doing this, I will continue to freelance for Fusion so that I keep my foot in the door of the industry.
I also have plans to open studio spaces and workshop facilities of my own, that I would like to rent out to designer makers. I’d like to have a cafĂ© and a shop included within the premises, so that the designers could sell their work and we could run workshops for the public, as well as attracting people in to have a look around, with cake!


What would you say to a student who was thinking about studying Surface Pattern/Textile Surfaces?

DO IT! Like I said, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. There is not a typical ‘university handwriting,’ which means that you are free to take whichever route is right for you and you will receive support and guidance along the way. You don’t just gain the skills you need to become a great designer, but also have the opportunity to find out about being a good businessperson too. The knowledge that you will pick up will stay with you for life and help you to become the very best designer you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.